About The CBC Award of Honor
The Chicago Building Congress "Award of Honor" is the highest personal achievement award that can be bestowed upon an individual in the Chicago Building Industry. Now going into its 20th year, this prestigious award recognizes an outstanding leader for his or her lifetime contributions to the art and science of construction.
The CBC begins a new round of nominations and judging for the Award of Honor in June. Any person active in the building industry may submit a nomination for an individual or partnership considered deserving of the recognition and prestige of this award. The judging process will convene a panel of judges, all senior members of the industry. The Award of Honor Judging Committee will select the recipient in September, following a thorough review and discussion of all entry nominations received.
Past Recipients of the CBC Award of Honor:
- 1995 – Richard S. Pepper (Pepper Construction)
- 1996 – John E. Kenny, Sr. (Kenny Construction)
- 1997 – Melvin Gray (GRAYCOR)
- 1998 – Adrian Smith (Skidmore, Owings & Merrill)
- 1999 – Raymond A. Worley (Morse Diesel International)
- 2000 – Eli W. Cohen (Thornton Tomasetti, Inc.)
- 2001 – Parker R. Thorne (Thorne Associates, Inc.)
- 2002 – Robert Wislow (U. S. Equities Realty, LLC)
- 2003 – Sidney Epstein (A. Epstein & Sons International)
- 2004 – Alvin Gorman (Power Construction Company)
- 2005 – Richard A. Stein (Mesirow Stein Real Estate)
- 2006 – Clyde N. Baker, Jr. (STS Consultants)
- 2007 – Dirk Lohan (Lohan Anderson)
- 2008 – Michael J. Faron (W. E. O’Neil Construction Co.)
- 2009 – Drew E. Waitley (LaSalle National Bank)
- 2010 – Joseph R. Krusinski (Krusinski Construction Co.)
- 2011 – Carol Ross Barney (Ross Barney Architects)
- 2012 – Ralph Johnson (Perkins+Will)
- 2013 – Norman R. Bobins (Norman Bobins Consulting)
- 2014 - Andy Stapleton (Mortenson Construction) - Future Leader Award of Honor
- 2014 - Jen Suerth (Mortenson Construction) - Future Leader Award of Honor
- 2015 - Anthony McGuire (McGuire Engineering)
2015 AWARD OF HONOR Program
On Wednesday, November 19, 2015, the Chicago Building Congress presented their 20th Award of Honor to McGuire Engineer's Founder and Consultant, Anthony McGuire.
Tony studied engineering at Manhattan College in Riverdale, NY. After several years of mechanical engineering work in the design and testing of spacecraft and their components, he gravitated to building MEP system design. He was then recruited by a best friend to pay basketball at Marquette University, where he met his wife, Lynn, a native Chicagoan. Work in design firms and mechanical construction organizations carried them from New York, Boston, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, and finally Chicago. The Brooklyn, New York Dodger fan adopted Chicago as his home in 1978. .
Tony was Vice President at Perkins and Will, and Environmental Systems Design before establishing McGuire Engineers in 1986. Along the way he participated in the development of energy standards and building codes, while also giving much of his time to local charity and civic organizations.
He continues his services while mentoring younger engineers by remaining as a Director of the Chicago Engineers Foundation, the Chicago Building Standards and Test Committee, St. Ignatius College Prep Advisory Board, along with other community organizations.